Recipe Corner: Chocolate Cake
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- Melt chocolate and 1/2 cup water together (can be done in microwave if you are careful not to burn it) and set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract to butter mixture and beat well. Blend in cooled chocolate.
- Mix together flour and baking soda, and add alternately with 1 cup water on low speed. Pour batter into two 9-inch greased layer pans or two 8-inch square aluminum foil pans, or one 9 x 13-inch sheet cake pan. Bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes or until inserted wooden pick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans for layering.
- Ice with your favorite icing.
This cake is very moist; take care to line the bottoms of the cake pans with parchment or wax paper before pouring in the batter, as the cake has a tendency to stick to the pan. (Even if you’re using non-stick!)