Facts You Never Knew About Coffee
August 29, 2018
- Although coffee has been a part of the Arab culture for thousands of years, it did not become part of the western world until the 1500s.
- Many countries around the world celebrate Coffee Day on October 1, however, the U.S. celebrates on September 29.
- A single acre of coffee trees can yield close to ten thousand pounds of coffee cherries. Once they are milled or hulled, there are still almost two thousand pounds of coffee beans.
- 49 of the 50 states grow absolutely no coffee. The only state that grows coffee is Hawaii.
- Germany is the second largest coffee consumer in the world.
- The English word coffee is derived from the Latin word Coffea. Coffea is the Latin name for a genus of trees.
- Petroleum is the only product that is traded more heavily than coffee. The amount of coffee produced around the world is close to six million metric tons.